I was asked last week to create the final exam questions for 4th and 5th grade classes. My co-teacher gave me a few packets and told me to shorten the stories and make up multiple choice questions. I read through the packets, just to get an idea of what to write. One of the stories was called "Monday Mornings" and is about a boy who wants to stay home from school. Here is the shortened version of what the brillant boys at St. Gabriel's must read:
It’s Monday morning and Tom is miserable. He lay in bed, thinking that he wished he was sick. While thinking, he felt that one of his teeth was loose. Aunt Polly would pull it out. Suddenly, he remembered something!
He looked at his sore toe. Then, he began to groan. His brother, Sid was still sleeping. Tom tried to wake Sid up. He groaned louder and shook Sid.
“What’s the matter, Tom?” said Sid.
Tom groaned again. “Don’t shake me, I’m hurting!” he said.
“I will go get Auntie. How long have you been like this?” Sid asked.
“A long time! Hours. Ouch!” said Tom.
“Tell me what is the matter? You should have woken me sooner.” Sid said.
“Oh Sid, this is the end. I forgive you for everything, brother…” Tom said.
“Tom, are you dying? Don’t Tom, please don’t!” Sid looked upset.
“Tell everyone I forgive them. Sid, give away my cat and belongings to the new girl. Tell her…” Tom whispered.
Sid ran out of the room.
“Auntie! Tom is dying!” Sid shouted.
“What? I don’t believe it.” Aunt Polly said.
Aunt Polly and Sid ran upstairs and sat next to Tom as he lay in bed.
“What’s the matter, Tom?” asked Aunt Polly.
“Oh, my! It’s… my sore toe.”
His aunt began to laugh. She laughed until she cried.
“You are crazy, Tom. You gave me a scare. Now, get out of bed.”
Tom felt foolish and his pain was gone.
“But Auntie, I have a loose tooth. It aches.” Tom said.
“There, there. Open your mouth and let me look… Ah, yes. I will pull it out. Get me a silk thread and a chunk of fire from the kitchen.”
“No, please! It doesn’t hurt. I don’t want to stay away from school!” Tom shouted.
“Oh, Tom. You just want to stay home and go fishing, I see. Not today.”
The thread and chunk of fire were ready. Aunt Polly tied one end of the thread to Tom’s tooth. She tied the other end to the bedpost. She threw the chunk of fire towards Tom’s face. The tooth was now dangling from the bedpost.
But, all troubles have rewards. When Tom got to school, all of the boys envied the gap in his teeth.
At least the story attempts to have a moral?
hahahahahaha...that story is ridiculous! haha and she threw fire at his face to get him to move so that the tooth would be pulled out? yikes! wow...what kind of questions do the kids have to answer from reading this story? you have some awesome stories to share during future lunches in the faculty lounge. :)
ReplyDelete